Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It's the sleep, stupid!

I keep telling myself, "Self, you need to get more sleep." I used to get by on just 4-5 hours per night, and I was fat and happy for it - literally!

But try running 15-25 miles per week, maintaining an effective weight loss regimen of smarter eating and regular exercise, and you will soon realize just how precious those hours of sleep really are. Studies show, and your mother probably told you, that you need to get about 8 hours of sleep every night. Legend has it that sleep, once lost, cannot be "made up." You can't sleep 2 hours one night and 14 the next and say it's the same as 2 x 8 hours. I think I am starting to believe both of these long-held axioms.

Normally, I find myself able to fall asleep no earlier than 9:00-10:00 pm, which gives me a maximum of 7-1/2 hours of bed-time and maybe 7 hours of actual sleep time.

This morning, I woke up after 5-1/2 hours of sleep, which included a trip down the hall for water, a trip down the hall for a headache pill, and some really freaky dreams. As a result, I felt horrible when I got out 40 minutes late for my morning run. So tomorrow will be different. It is almost 8:00pm and I will start winding down by finishing this blog entry, syncing up my iPods, praying my evening Compline prayers, getting the kids ready for bed, organizing the kitchen from tonight's cooking adventures, and getting ready for bed.

Tomorrow will be a better day!

Weight 256 -24/76
How I feel 6/10
How I ate 8/10

No comments: